Everyone should hug a tree on their wedding day!

Thursday, 10 March 2011

A little trip around the town I call home...

Ok, firstly, apologies for the time it's taken to write my next post. I've been busy - honest I have! And well, if I'm truthful, not that inspired of late, mainly due to what felt like week after week of dull, damp & grey weather. But then I got a phone call off a colleague of the hubby. The customer restaurant (at Debenhams in Oldham) is having a bit if a revamp. They would like to put some canvasses on the walls depicting local scenes. Could I help? Well, it gave me the excuse to get back out there with the camera ... so I said yes. Then I prayed for some decent weather! Someone heard me as we've had some beautiful days lately.

But then came my next problem. What EXACTLY is there to shoot in Oldham? This town has had such bad press. Many who live here do nothing but plan their escape. But is that fair? So I sat down with a pad and a pen and my laptop and got to thinking (I pressed a few buttons on the keyboard too!). And would you credit it? This town has history! It has landmarks! Gosh, there are even a few parks too! Maybe this wasn't going to be so difficult after all. So on a couple of sunny days last week off I went with my camera. And here are some of the results ...


I have to admit that I haven't quite finished this little project yet. I've only really covered the immediate town centre. But I thought I'd share them with you anyway! I plan to find a mill to shoot - because when I think of Oldham, I think of mills. I'm just searching for the right one at the moment. And I may even venture up into the hills. They're not that far and on a good day there are some beautiful, far-reaching views.

But it just goes to show that there are photo opportunities wherever you live. I've already learnt a lot just by wandering around for an afternoon with my camera. One guy who spotted me taking photographs at the war memorial ended up telling me the story of his partner's Uncle - who just happened to have been awarded the Victoria Cross after the war. And then he showed me his name, up on a little blue plaque on a wall, that I have never spotted before even though I've lived here for 13 years! But they're like that in Oldham ... a friendly bunch.

2 comments:

  1. What great photos, you have done a wonderful job :) x

    ReplyDelete